Saturday, January 20, 2007

Wings Over Wairarapa!! Fantastic!

I went to the Wings Over Wairarapa today and it was AWESOME!

I came away with almost 200 pictures from the day, of which I have kept just under 180 so far. Over the next few weeks, you can expect to see some of these pop up in this blog. I'll trde y and arrange them in topics which may make sense, but that in itself will take time.

Meanwhile here are a few samplers from throughout the day. They are, from top to bottom [apologies if I get a description or two wrong!]:

Fokker D.VII [World War One era -thanks Whitehawk!]
Two North American Harvards taking off
Polikarpov I-153 "Chaika" [Russian WWII fighter]
Two P40 Kittihawks and a Vought F4U Corsair
de Havilland Vampire

Not sure of type [World War One era]

North American HarvardsPolikarpov I-153 'Chaika'Two P40 Kittihawks and a Vought F4U Corsairde Havilland Vampire

6 comments:

Hawk_180k said...

Awesome sounds like it was a great day! Lookin foward to more pics heh heh.

Top photo is a Fokker D.VII, Late WW1 and easily the best scout (fighter) of the war. It had the reputation of making even a mediocre pilot look good.

Rodney said...

Thanks Whitehawk for the details! I've updated the original post. Cheers, Rodney

Guru said...

I guess they either fixed that Fuga fighter or sourced a new one from somewhere else? I seem to recall that the Fuga crashed in Taupo some time in 2003?

Rodney said...

Ummmm.... Fuga? Not sure what you mean there - sorry :-(

Guru said...

Hehe, turns out I don't know what I'm talking about either :) I mistook the Vampire for a Fouga CM.170 Magister - 'Fuga' appears to be a bastardisation of 'Fouga'. ZK-FGA was at WoWai in 2002 (snapped), but it crashed the day before the Taupo Airshow (20/3/2004), killing the pilot and a crewman. Full details : ZK-FGA, Firth of Thames near the township of Kaiaua, 19 March 2004

Rodney said...

Ahhh, yes, that would explain it... I was at work in Takapuna [you know where, Guru!] on that day when I saw the initial reports in the NZ Herald website...