Monday, September 24, 2007

Piper Archer III - revisited

After my previous post on Canterbury Aero Club's Piper Archer III from early this month, the aircraft came visiting again on the weekend. This time I was able top have a quick chat with the PIC [Pilot in Command] and was given to OK to take a look inside. Unfortunately the screens were not powered up, but I think that this picture gives an good impression of the clean layout.

This aircraft has a 180hp engine, and cruises at about 125 knots, which is pretty much par-for-the-course for this type of aircraft. Still, it looks quite comfortable and I'd love to have a flight in it one day.

Enjoy the pics!

Piper Archer IIIPiper Archer III

2 comments:

Flyinkiwi said...

Thanks for that Rodney. Definitely looks futuristic on the inside. I remember climbing into a late 70's 152 on my first lesson and thinking that the dash reminded me of a 65 VW Beetle I used to own.

Externally that Archer looks pretty much like any other Archer, unless I have missed something?

Rodney said...

Gidday Euan,

Yes, they look fairly similar. There are a couple of differences though.

Firstly, note the nose cowling. It is much more streamlined than the older versions. Secondly, the windows are smaller for some reason.

There seem to be a couple of other minor changes around exhaust protrusion etc also.