Monday, January 21, 2008

Circuits

Strange as it may sound to any students undergoing "solo consolidation" in the circuit, a session of circuits is something that I often look forward to these days, having had a PPL for a few years.

In fact, circuits are a great way of helping to maintain competency [not just currency] as it's always the busiest, and most critical, part of any flight. This is especially true at Wellington with the variety of aircraft types [speeds] that operate here and a single runway. You need a constant awareness of what is in front and behind you, and to always look for ways to assist in making things flow easier. ATC do an awesome job, and sometimes just speeding up or slowing down a little, or flying a closer or wider base leg can help a lot.

Today I got 4-5 touch and goes in, 1 overshoot [my choice... poor approach], 2 short approaches [closer base leg] and 2 slightly stretched downwind legs [following other traffic]. Combine that with holding early and late downwind and having to sight the likes of an Air NZ B737, Air Nelson DHC-8, and Sounds Air GA8 at various times, it was very good value for money at around a 1 hour flight. I also feel as though I've brushed off a bit of rust [off me, not the aircraft :-)].

Aircraft for the day was this C172N, ZK-FLT.

Wellington Aero Club Cessna 172N ZK-FLT

2 comments:

Flyinkiwi said...

It sounds funny you saying that the overshoot was your choice. The plane doesn't go around by itself. :)

Rodney said...

:-) Good point.

Let me re-phrase that. I decided to go around rather than the tower telling me to... I came in a bit high and fast and got sick of holding the aircraft a few feet off the deck.

I suppose I could have forced it on, but that seems to be just a dumb way to get generate paperwork, and make the papers. ;-(