Monday, September 05, 2011

Europe Trip 2011 #8: Off to the Deutsches Technikmuseum - 1

Today was my planned trip to visit the Deutsches Technikmuseum [German Museum of Technology]. It was an easy 25-30 minute walk from my hotel, so rather than pay for a taxi, I made the journey on foot. It's a better way to see the city anyway.

The main reason I wanted to go was to see the aviation section, although I was 
pleasantly surprised with the wide range of other displays and information. the staff were very helpful [one of them approached me and went out of her way to get some information for me], and at EUR6, you can't go wrong.

Needless to say there were a few aircraft I had seen before and many that I hadn't. The aircraft display area is not huge [there is far more room devoted to the trains], but it was still worth the walk! Apart from that, take a look at the first picture - any time you see a building with a Douglas DC3 suspended on the roof, it has got to be a good day! :-)

Anyway, to the pictures:

Douglas DC3 on the roof!
Otto Lilienthal's most advanced glider design
Jeannin Stahltaube design [title roughly translates as Jeannin Stahltaube a dove as a scout in the war]
Focke Achgelis Fa 330 "Bachstelze" gyrocopter [designed to be collapsible and operate from u-boats [submarines] as to expand the area the u-boat could observe]
Arado Ar 96 B-1 [the title text on this translated as Standard trainer of the fighter pilot]

[BTW - many thanks to Google Translate [!] for the rough translations and 
interpretations
 as above!!]







No comments: