News just in is an open day at Whanganui airport on 31 July!
This is not only a general open day for the airport, but also to celebrate the arrival of Air Chathams, which takes over the Whanganui to Auckland route from 1 August! Looking at the advert, it looks to be a fun day which a range of activities including scenic DC3 flights around the city!
While unconfirmed at this stage [ie: definitely subject to change!], it appears likely that the following range of Air Chathams and other visiting aircraft will be there:
Air Chathams aircraft
- Saab-Scania SF340A, ZK-KRA
- Fairchild SA227-AC Metroliner
- Douglas DC3C-S1C3G, ZK-AWP [available for scenics!]
- Consolidated-Vultee PBY-5A Catalina, ZK-PBY [The Catalina Company]
- de Havilland DH-115 Vampire Jet
- One or more Yakovlev Yak-52's
A range of local aircraft will also be there, including the Wanganui Aero Club and other local operators. It should be a good day!
Information will be updated as more details come to hand.