Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Polikarpov I-153 "Chaika"

A certain star of the show was this Polikarpov I-153 "Chaika" ["Seagull"], a WW2 era Russian creation.

It's ugly [though not the most ugly - there's a worse aircraft coming in a later post], extremely noisy and has a rather less than impressive fuel endurance [it was shipped to Masterton in a crate...], but apart from those issues, it's a fantastic aircraft to watch [and listen to]. This was also the first time the aircraft had been seen in the North Island.

Polikarpov I-153 'Chaika'
Polikarpov I-153 'Chaika'Polikarpov I-153 'Chaika'Polikarpov I-153 'Chaika'

Polikarpov I-153 'Chaika'

2 comments:

Hawk_180k said...

YEAH!! Those and the I-16 have a really nice, unique, sound! It was awesome to see 'em all in formation at Wanaka last year.

Any I-16's make it?

Rodney said...

Sorry - no I-16's unfortunately, only the I-153.

They are impressive. I saw them at Wanaka in 2000. Stunning!