Sunday, August 19, 2007

Immaculate PA-18 Super Cub

I went out to the Aero Club this afternoon, not expecting to be flying [The C172 was away with other Club aircraft in Hokitika], but also not expecting to see this: An immaculate Piper PA-18 Super Cub which had stopped off for a short time on it's way from Omaka to Masterton.

I briefly spoke with the owner, who says that this example has about 12 hours on the clock since a complete refurbish. The aircraft was immaculate inside and out, down to the smallest details. Even the instrumentation was all new so obviously no expense spared! Fantastic!

PA-18 Super CubPA-18 Super CubPA-18 Super CubPA-18 Super Cub

4 comments:

Flyinkiwi said...

If I ever get a tail dragger rating, it will be in one of these. The club has recently secured the use of a Cessna 180, but the thought of doing a tail dragger rating and a CSU at the same time seems a bit daunting to me.

Rodney said...

Hi Euan,

The C180 I think is ZK-JFG - it was up at Auckland Aero Club for many years. I understand that the owners wanted to move it to be closer to them, which is fair enough.

I have no tail dragger ratings, but from what I have seen, this would have to be an excellent choice for getting a rating it. Don't worry about the CSU - it won't complicate things much [if at all] during takeoff/landing [pitch will be fine during takeoff and landing].

It is also a very nice aircraft inside and out. You'll love it!

Flyinkiwi said...

You are 100% correct Rodney. I got to watch the head instructor go up for his currency flight. Three low level circuits with early left turns and short approaches later he landed with an excellent landing.

I guess having a side by side seating configuration would make type conversions easier for the instructors than the tandem Piper Cub arrangement.

But again, like an instrument rating, it comes down to the question of would I ever use it enough to warrant the investment? I am not so sure I would fly it all that often.

Rodney said...

Yeah... you're right. That's probably the only reason I didn't get rated when I was in Auckland.