Sunday, September 09, 2007

Quick visit to Omaka

I made my first visit to Omaka airfield yesterday [Saturday]. Omaka is located in the Woodbourne control zone and in fact is only 2.6nm from Woodbourne, which makes adherence to the assigned arrival and departure procedures especially important. I went over with one passenger and came back with three.

Although it was blowing 20, and up to 30, knots on the ground at Wellington, there was only 6 knots at Woodbourne/Omaka [a 30-40 minute flight across Cook Strait]. It was an awesome flight with far less turbulence than expected around Wellington [probably considerably helped by being cleared through the Karori sector rather than the Sinclair sector].

Next time I pop over there I'll try and have some more time on my hands, so that I can go an visit the aviation museum on site at Omaka airfield.

2 comments:

Chris Nielsen said...

Please, do yourself a favour and visit the museum at Omaka ASAP!!!!! Is just damn awesome!

Rodney said...

Yeah, just no time this time around. Hard to believe - I'm flying out of Wellington these days and I've only just got over to Omaka! :-)