Monday, September 28, 2009

Europe Trip #18: RAF Museum Hendon - 13 - Last of the jets

In this final post about the jets, I've included two of my favourite aircraft - the Hawker Hunter and the Harrier jumpjet.

I've seen a New Zealand-based Hunter flying at Ardmore airfield in past years [ZK-JIL] and it's an impressive sight - and sound! I haven't seen the Harrier flying [apart from video obviously], but it's one of those aircraft that captures the imagination and makes you wonder why they don't build more V/STOL fighter aircraft [OK - I know that the Americans have, but it's 40 something years later!].

Finally, this is the last of my posts from the RAF Museum at Hendon in the UK. As I have said before, it is well worth the visit - in fact, I strongly recommend it. I hope you've enjoyed these photos. Do come back over the next few days as there will soon be a few pictures from around London followed by the Duxford museum collection which is arguably even more awesome!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow! So going there!!

Rodney said...

And so you should :-) You wait until I get on to the Duxford photos!

Martin Scharnke said...

How can that be the last Hendon post? How can you leave us hanging out for more?

Seriously, what a feast for the eyes!

Fabulous pics and well-documented.

You didn't get to see an Airbus super-guppy transporter whilst in Europe, did you?

Rodney said...

Yeah, pretty cool! I didn't get to see much in Europe - just what I've published from a couple of airports.