Saturday, December 10, 2011

I'm stumped! It's a mystery! What sort of plane is this?

Update: Time corrected to 12:21pm (my camera clock was not adjusted for daylight savings!)... and Cessna C525B, ZK-TBM was flying NZNR to NZQN at this time, so that fits. Thanks everyone for the updates on Twitter, Oz-spotters list and here!

Yep, it's true. I've photographed a plane and I have no idea what type it is! If anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear them. This aircraft went over head Wellington [or just north of] at about 12:21pm this morning [Saturday 10 December]. We only noticed it because of the condensation trail behind it which was well formed, indicating low winds at altitude.

It appears to be a twin engined aircraft with a straight leading edge [so, not a Boeing or Airbus of any sort that I can tell] and probably at least 30,000 feet, possibly/ probably higher. The wings look quiet large compared to the body also, and it might have rear-mounted engines. Perhaps a business jet of some description?

Unfortunately, the plane being a stolen American surveillance drone being operated by the Iranians who are spying on us has already been suggested... no points for that one! [Iranians Capture US Spy Drone?] However, if you really believe it was the Iranians, then please send a stamped, self-addressed envelope to me with $50 cash and I'll send you a tin-foil hat. My address is... ummm... errrrr...... ok, just email me the cash :-)

Here's the picture. It's a bit fuzzy, but it's the clearest resolution I could do.

7 comments:

Euan Cameron said...

Looks to me like some sort of private jet. That's possibly the reason for the rear-mounted engines.

Nicks BIGSKY Aviation said...

Either early cessna citation or a westwind

Ross Marsden said...

I saw that! Brilliant!

rayner123 said...

cessna citation thats what id put my money on if i was a betting man

Nicks BIGSKY Aviation said...

Check out latest Aussie Aviation mag one with Kangaroo on it

Go to page 63 and you will see vh zmd an early citation

Anonymous said...

A second engine on the Lockheed U2 would allow a heavier payload; either of surveillance equipment... or spray gear.

Just saying...

Rodney said...

Thank you Mr Anonymous. You sound very "authoritive"! Send me your details and I'll email you a tin-foil hat :-)