Sunday, February 10, 2013

Low flying, Cape Palliser and great scenery

The weather today was just about perfect for a flight and so, although not expecting to go up today, it took all of about 30 seconds after arriving at the Wellington Aero Club to get the paperwork I needed to preflight the aircraft :-)

For today's flight I went up in a Cessna 172N, ZK-FLT, by myself in order to practice those manoeuvres which I can't practice with passengers - stalls, forced landings and low flying around our expansive low flying zone. Nice!

After coming back I found our that another Club pilot was heading out in a Piper PA38-112 Tomahawk, ZK-ESG, for a look around Palliser Bay. I managed to invite myself along for the ride [Thanks Lance!] and a short time later we headed out for an hour or so of sightseeing.

Photos from my trip with Lance, top to bottom are:

Southern Wairarapa area, looking out over Lake Onoke
Lighthouse at Cape Palliser
Rimutaka Ranges over Wellington City and across Cook Strait to the South Island! The picture doesn't really do it justice :-)
Ward Island VRP [Visual Reporting Point] in the Wellington Harbour







2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd love to fly in New Zealand! One day... .

Rodney said...

You'd be very welcome! It's a lovely place to fly in - lots of variety from mountainous to flat we have it all :-)