Sunday, April 14, 2019

A new type rating today!

I wasn't intending to fly today, but while visiting family in Whanganui, I popped in to see the friendly people at Wanganui Aero Club. I might be needing an aircraft next weekend. As my normal type of a Cessna 172 will have a new engine around then, I underwent a type rating in their C150 instead.

What a fun time! I had 1 hour of dual with Leroy, followed by 0.4 hours to get three circuits in. It has been a while since I'd had to fit in all the manoeuvres in on one flight, but in that one hour we managed the following:
Medium turns, steep turns, slow flight [including turns with and without flap], basic and wingdrop stalls, FLWOP, rejoin the circuit, flapless approach, glide approach, EFATO and precision approach and landing.
Just to make it more fun, all the circuits had a crosswind component.

Following this, I did the three solo circuits including finishing with the precision approach and landing. The C150 doesn't need much room to land, even though I wasn't trying hard for a short landing roll. Fun times!

Cessna 150H, ZK-CTF, operated by Wanganui Aero Club

No comments: