Thursday, November 11, 2021

Flying NZ Cook Strait regional flying competition

Last weekend I was up in Whanganui for the Flying NZ Cook Strait region competitions.Unlike the previous four years, I wasn't the Competition Director [Thanks Leroy for doing that this year. Well done!], but I was given the role of Chief Ground Judge [so LOTS of time out on the landing grid], as well as competing in the Wigram Cup Basic Panel Instrument Flying competition.

A fun day and one that was well organised by Flying NZ and the Wanganui Aero Club.

For me, the weekend started with a flight to Whanganui in Wellington Aero Club's Cessna 172N, ZK-EKE on Friday. My competition was done in a Piper PA38-112 Tomahawk, ZK-TAW on Saturday and the flight home on Sunday was again in EKE.

I didn't get any pictures during the competitions - I was too busy with managing safety on the grid and ensuring the judging was up to standard, but I did get some on Saturday evening and on the flight home.

First up is the de Havilland DH112 Venom, ZK-VNM. This was pulled out of its hanger and turned some Jet A1 into noise and kinetic energy. Nice!

de Havilland DH112 Venom, ZK-VNM, operated by Wanganui Sea and Air Charters

This Supermarine Aircraft Spitfire Mk 26 Replica, ZK-SPT, was pushed out of it's hanger to make room for the competition presentation dinner. What an awesome machine!

Supermarine Aircraft Spitfire Mk26 Replica, ZK-SPT


It looked great in the dark also!

Supermarine Aircraft Spitfire Mk26 Replica, ZK-SPT

I am always impressed at the quality of photos on my new iPad Mini 6. here are a couple as we passed over Paraparaumu airport and a cockpit photo of EKE.

NZPP - Paraparaumu airport

NZPP - Paraparaumu airport

Cessna 172N, ZK-EKE, operated by Wellington Aero Club

Oh yeah... competition results. I managed a First Equal in my competition. I'm quite stocked with that! I guess the practice helped. Well done to Mads from HBECAC who was also first equal - a great guy and friendly rivalry [rumour has it, I might has tried to convince Mads that I was so bad, that he would win even if he didn't compete... 😁😁😁 ... didn't work!].




2 comments:

Peter Merwood said...

Beaut photos of NZPP Rodney. It would be a crime to plant houses on it eh.
Peter M

Rodney said...

Sure would!