Saturday, October 10, 2009

Europe Trip #20: IWM Duxford - 1 - Outside Airliners

Firstly, apologies for it being so long since the last post - a whole 2 weeks! I guess I've been very busy relaxing :-) then getting back in to work after the big trip.

The good news [I guess] is that I was always pretty much up to date with the posts, with just one large series of posts from the Imperial War Museum at Duxford [starting now] then a quick wrap up.

In this IWM Duxford series, I'll try and give you a taste of what it is that I saw. It's a huge place [!] and the only real way to experience it is to go and visit! Take this series as an encouragement to do just that!

You'll note in a previous post that I was pretty enthusiastic about the RAF Museum in Hendon, and I was. I have to say that the IWM Duxford was a step up!

Anyway, on to the photos. In the first group, I have included shots of a number of airliners sitting outside. Unfortunately [despite the steps leading up to them], none of them were open for visits. You'll notice that a couple of them are starting to look quite decrepit, although I understand that is mainly due to as yet incomplete conservation work. I'd certainly like to see these restored to their former glory, even if only as static displays.

Top to bottom are [including their former airline operator and registration]:

British Airways, British Aircraft Corporation [BAC] 1-11, G-AVMU
Monarch, Bristol Type 172 Britannia 312, G-AOVT
BOAC, BAC Super VC10, G-ASGC
BEA, Hawker Siddeley Trident 2E, G-AVFB
Air UK, Handley Page Herald 200, G-APWJ

No comments: