Monday, September 05, 2011

Europe Trip 2011 #7: Balloon ride in the middle of Berlin

I was out and about tonight and saw something a bit different - a tethered balloon ride! This balloon is designed to take tourists for a great view of the city, although I heard yesterday that is was EUR90, so way outside of what I would want to be paying!

Anyway, the interesting thing is that this appears to be on the German aircraft register, as it has a registration of D-OCUL! I guess it would be operating in controlled airspace [with 2 airports in close proximity], although it is tethered full time and I doubt it would be capable of [safe] untethered flight. Who knows!

The wording on the side says it all - der Welt translates as "the world", and yes, the world map on the side does include New Zealand :-)

Anyway, here it is!


No comments: