Thursday, February 11, 2016

Bush fire near Kingston

There was a wee bit of excitement this evening when I arrived home to see there was a bush fire a few kilometres away, burning up the side of a hill.

According to a news report, the fire may have started when hydraulic oil in a digger caught fire and injuring the driver...

Apart from a lot of smoke, there were very few flames to see from where I was [which was a reasonable distance away], but shortly after arriving home, the helicopters arrived.

From what I can tell, the first is an MBB BK117 A-3, ZK-IED, which is registered to Precision Helicopers of an Urenui [Taranaki] address. If there's anyone who can absolutely confirm this rego, please leave me a comment [I'm 99% sure it's this one]

The second helicopter is a Eurocopter EC130 B4, ZK-IDY, of the same operator. It arrived about 20 minutes later and once hooked up to a water bucket, got to work.

Here are a few pictures from the fire, the helicopters and one of some ground crew [if you look hard enough!].








2 comments:

ZKaviation said...

Hi Rodney,

I heard about the fire on the radio news last night.
Looks like your info on ZK-IED is correct see link below.
http://www.precisionhelicopters.com/helicopter-fleet.php

Best Regards

Tim Gorman

Rodney said...

Thanks for the confirmation Tim. I was pretty sure, but I like to be cautious about getting this stuff right :-)