Wednesday, October 30, 2019

I HAVE CLOTHES! The weather is better! Lots of flying! Time for a BFR!

I HAVE CLOTHES! The weather is better!

I suppose that's the most unusual post title I have ever used. Also, not something I typically celebrate since I usually have plenty of clothes around [no Cheryl, this is not Ottawa!] 😁


The reason for a minor celebration is that my suitcase, which was full of clothes and related stuff, my camera gear and most of my flight gear, was stuck in Masterton for the past few days. I had to wait the weather improved enough for them to fly back in a C172 after the Flying NZ Cook Strait regional comps last weekend.

Unfortunately, the Nanchang doesn't have space for a suitcase and I wasn't that smart about picking and choosing what would fly back with me on Monday.

I least I never had to stoop to borrowing a certain somebody's China Southern First Class pyjamas. That's a whole different story.

Lots of flying!

In other news, I thought it had been a big month of flying for me. Turns out it was. I did a total of 9.3 hours - probably the largest single month in a few years - and it felt really good!

October started with 3.7 hours solo, over 2 flights in Cessna 172s [ZK-EKE and ZK-CEO], including a nice trip to NZHS (Hastings aerodrome). It continued and finished with 2.2 hours dual and 3.4 hours solo in my Nanchang CJ6A, ZK-MAO.

Combined with the previous type rating flights for the Nanchang, I now have a total of 16.5 hours on type, including 6 hours solo. I think I'm getting the hang of it now! I should stop promising people rides for a short time, as I'm up to three aerodromes I have to go visit already [plus Wellington] and probably 7 or 8 people...

Nanchang CJ6A, ZK-MAO, operated by Wellington Aero Club/ Wellington Warbirds
Time for a BFR!

The next thing I have to do is undertake my BFR [Bienniel Flight Review]. Until that is done, no more Nanchang flying [it's an insurance requirement]... so hopefully it will be finished in the next couple of weeks. Until then, all those I have promised flights to will have to wait...!

No comments: